Friday, April 30, 2010

Waiting

As a new mother, I am still trying to get in the "groove" of all that comes along with being a stay at home mommy and wife.  I think it is very difficult to find a happy medium between taking care of the house and spending time with Noah... both of which are very important to me.  I have found myself in this "go-go-go" mentality where I am always rushing... rushing to finish my lunch because Noah might wake up from his nap; rushing to get the bathroom cleaned so I can get dinner on the table; rushing getting Noah down to sleep so I can spend time with Micah... always in a hurry to get to the next thing.  I also catch myself constantly trying to do one more thing.  If Noah got a quarter every time I told him, "Hang on, sweet boy... let me just do this one last thing..." he would have a pretty awesome start on his college fund.  I try to squeeze every little thing into each moment.  Noah is still in a sleep funk, and I find myself wondering "How long is this going to last?!  God, come on... let's get on with it already!"  All this rushing and hustling and desires to move on to the next thing has left me pooped.

A few days ago my mom sent me a devotional that struck me to the core... below is an excerpt:
Those who wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength, they shall mount up with wings as Eagles, they shall run and not be weary, they shall walk and not faint" -Isaiah 40:31
...I often think of this verse in terms of power. Mounting up! Taking the hill! Closing the deal! Yet, this day I was struck by how often we don't feel like we are soaring in life. We have worries. We have fears. We have anxieties. Yes, at times we all feel inadequate, but you don't have to! More than anything else, Isaiah 40:31 is a powerful reminder to trust in God. "Those who wait on the Lord shall renew their strength." Perhaps for many of us, therein lies the problem. We hate to wait. We find no peace in waiting. We find no renewed strength in waiting. More than any other time in history, we live in an instant society - fast food, fast cars, microwave dinners, shopping at the click of a mouse. We over-schedule our day, overburden our time, and rush even when there really is no reason to do so. So today, in this moment, take a deep breath! Sit back in your chair wherever you are and spend just a few minutes waiting on God. Turn all thoughts toward God who loves you and created you. "

Wow.  The Word promises us that if we just WAIT on the Lord, we will be renewed.  Why don't I trust that? Why don't I just enjoy the moment instead of trying to move to the next?  I was also reminded as I read through this devotional of a post Dr. Cindy (the chiropractor and assisting midwife I saw while pregnant/in labor with Noah) wrote a while back of a revelation she had to cherish the season, not despise it.  I went back to read it and again, BAM... it hit me.  I have not stopped to truly just cherish each moment.  I don't feel like I have really wished for a whole new season, but I have not stopped to live and love each moment.  Sure, I still have obligations to our home and to our family, but I dont need to be in such a dang rush.  I need to stop, breath, look around, enjoy, and wait on the Lord to bring to me whatever it is He has in store.

So here I am, promising to slow down...  Handing it over to the One who can give me peace in each moment and give me the strength and energy to enjoy them.


xoxo,
~The Grant Gang
 

No comments:

Post a Comment