Tuesday, May 31, 2011

My new favorite: Quinoa

Within in the last few months I have discovered a new superfood... Quinoa (pronounced keen-wah).  Although it looks and tastes like a grain, it is actually a relative of green leafy veggies like chard and spinach.  It is LOADED with nutrition, including being a complete protein.  Look it up... you will be amazed at all the health benefits!

There are quite a few yummy recipes out there, but I have experimented with making a few of my own.  My favorite recipe (that seems to go with practically everything) is pretty much always in my refrigerator these days, and is very simple to make.  Try it... you will love it!

Roasted Garlic & Parmesan Quinoa
- 1 cup Quinoa
- 2 cups liquid (I use a combo of whey from my homemade yogurt and water)
- 1 cube chicken buillon (you can omit if you use chicken broth as liquid)
- 4-5 cloves roasted garlic finely chopped (another thing I try to make quite a bit of and keep in the frige)
- 1/4-1/2 cup of grated parmesan cheese (according to taste)
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- sea salt & freshly grated pepper to taste
- 1 Tbs sour cream (optional)

- Add all ingredients except sour cream to medium sauce pan and bring to boil.  Reduce to a simmer & cover.
- Cook for 15 min or until most of tge liquid is absorbed.  Remove from heat and let sit for ~5 minutes.
- (Optional) Stir in sour cream. Serve immediately.

I hope you enjoy this as much as I do!


xoxo,
~The Grant Gang

No comments:

Post a Comment