Tuesday, April 19, 2011

More Countertop Science Experiments!

My dear friend Joyce shared a recipe for homemade yogurt with me and I have enjoyed it so much I have to share.  It is SO easy and twice as delish.  I am not sure I will ever go back to buying store bought yogurt!!!

** This takes quite a while.  If you time it correctly, you can let the final stretch of time occur over night.  I try to start mine around 3 or 4pm, which works out perfectly.

- Turn your crock pot on low.  Pour an entire half gallon of milk in the crockpot and cover.  Allow to sit for 2.5hrs.
- Turn off crockpot and keep covered.  Allow to sit for another 3 hours.
- Take ~1 cup of warm milk and mix with 1/2 cup of yogurt starter (plain yogurt from the store or 1/2 cup of previous batch of homemade yogurt).   After well blended, pour back into crockpot and stir.  Re-cover.  Wrap crockpot with a thick bath towel to keep it warm.  Let sit for 8 hours of overnight.
- Technically you can be done at this point.  I like thicker yogurt, so I strain my yogurt in cheese cloth for several hours.  The whey will separate from the yogurt.  It can be used to cook rice, boil pasta, or as a broth substitute.  It is very nutritious!

You can mix in flavoring, extract, or blended fruit for some variety.  My favorite is vanilla extract and a tad of brown sugar!

Enjoy!

xoxo,
~The Grant Gang

No comments:

Post a Comment