Tuesday, May 3, 2011

My first Stride

I've known about Stroller Strides for a while, but never gave it much thought.... I loathe group work out classes (I am much more of a runner/elliptical/weights type of gal) and the thought of my little energizer bunny sitting in a stroller for an hour makes me laugh a good laugh.  A few random events here and there later, I decided maybe I'd be interested in atleast giving it a shot.  No more than a few days later, I found out that my old chiropractor and current midwife, Dr. Cindy, just became the new owner of the Arlington/Hurst/Mansfield franchise and was hosting a party week of free classes and giveaways to celebrate the transition.  Did you say free?  I was sold :-)

I had my doubts.  How could I possibly get a good workout at the mall?  Would I be annoyed with the overly energized & perky instructor telling us in totally not normal perky voice to "Feel the burn"?  Would Noah scream "Down!!!" the entire time? 

I was SO surprised by our experience!  First of all, the instructor wasn't annoying at all.  In fact, she was the opposite.  Don't get me wrong... she was very encouraging, but she was a normal mom leading a group of other moms in a workout.  We used resistance bands to work our hip abductors, biceps, and triceps (all while singing cute little songs to our kids).  We did several different cardio boost sets (that totally made me sweat), and we did several other squat/push up type exercises to round it out.  The pace was what you wanted it to be... several different "levels" of each exercise were given so you could be right where you needed to be.  And amazingly enough, Noah only said "All doooown" three times, and each time it was at the very beginning and the very end.  The rest of the time he was either laughing (no joke.. he thought it was hilarious watching me sing/perform the Hokey Pokey while doing "maniacs" the entire time) or looking at me with a total look of bewilderment. 

I am really excited to give the class at Veteran's Park a try and see how N is in that environment.  My guess is he will be even happier that we are outside... and watching me sweat even more than I did today :-)

Although I probably won't join a group until after Fuzzy is born (I need to use up my gym membership), I am pretty excited about getting hooked up with the group in Arlington in the fall. 

The party week continues, so if you are even the least bit interested, I would highly encourage you to give a class a shot!  Here is the link to Cindy's blog with all the pertinent info!

xoxo,
~The Grant Gang

No comments:

Post a Comment